11 April 2008

The Opposite of Cecil B. DeMille

Tidying my desk at 6 PM, I thought about what seemed like a cast of thousands paving, planting, and potchkying (Yiddish for puttering) all week long in anticipation of today's Hopkins' life sciences building dedication. The tent overflowed with hundreds upon hundreds of attendees who heard rousing speeches and humble expressions of thanks. It was a lovely event, yet I wanted to end today blogging about something else. But what?

Still pondering, I got in my truck parked out back, and a few seconds later reached the front of the building on Ashland Avenue, where a beaming boy, riding the most unusual red, green, and yellow bicycle, pedaled east in front of me on the days-old sidewalk bordering the equally fresh and immaculately landscaped parking lot. It was as if this child, enjoying the warm Friday afternoon in a thoroughly decent, clean, and safe place, was sent to star in a video just for me. Pass the popcorn - I want to see it again and again.

No comments: